I was having this issue at work where with RSA installed I could not login with the local admin accounts and while in safe mode I could not remove RSA. We were getting rid of RSA logins anyway so it was perfectly fine to remove it. When I would go into remove programs and right click the RSA install to remove it I would get the error “The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.”
This was super frustrating and even google could not give me an answer! I mean isn’t this what safe mode was designed for?!?!? How could I not uninstall stuff! I revisited the issue a week later and dug further into google and finally found something! I cannot remember the site but I think it was some old forum from Microsoft, it did not even support Windows 7.
Below are the steps I had to take to resolve this issue:
1. Start > type in regedit.msc
2. Navigate to HKLM > System > Current Control Set > Control > expand Safeboot
3. Right click on Minimal and select add new key
4. Name the new key MSIServer
5. Edit the key in the new folder and set the value to Service
6. Uninstall the program!